mercredi 27 novembre 2013

Entry #7

**This blog will not follow exactly the guide of English in Action because I did not have any dialogue experience**

This week, I passed most of my time will Bill and Julie at Eco-Quartier because Nikki was on vacation. I am really happy because I have learnt not know them and they have taught me a lot about the language. I found that English is really different that in French and it's easier, I think to learn English as a second language than French. 

An interaction I had in English and what I learnt from that

Last week, I was alone in the office of Eco-Quartier with Julie and Bill. Julie asked me to write a text about my experience of being a volunteer at Eco-Quartier. After I finished to write down my text, I asked her if I could read my text at loud so she could tell me if it's good or not. While I was reading my text to her, Bill interrupt her and tell me that I couldn't say some words because it was to much familiar or even because we can't say that in English. So, he decided to correct my text and at the same time Julie explain to me that in English, people always use the "you". There is no "vouvoiement" in English. I didn't know that we say "you" for everyone, for children and for adult. I was really surprise,so that day I learnt that in English there is only one way to use  to call a person. After that,  I talked a little more about about the differences between English & French with Julie, an anglophone. I have learnt that French is much more difficult to learn than English. In French, we have a lot of different type of pronouns than in English. Finally, I learnt a lot of thing during that day with my discussion with Julie and Bill. Now, I know how to use the "you" correctly and I know how to use the word correctly in my sentence and not to much familiar. I am really glad that I learnt something on that day with those two people and that'S why I decided to talk about this because I found that important.

For example, I wrote in my text "the people I am working with" when I should have said " my co-workers" or even "my colleague". It is much more professional in a text. 

Example in English: Hi, what are you doing?
In English, "vous" could mean voustutetoion, at the same time, in French.
Example in French: Bonjour, que faites-vous? ( polite)
Example in French: Allo, que fais-tu? ( familiar)

Well, sometimes it'S difficult to accept that you are making a lot of mistakes, but therefore, people are there to help you to become better and to make less mistakes. I am really glad that Bill and Julie were there to help me, because I improve my English and they are a part of my learning. 

Vocabulary:

Bins:  It's a container or enclosed space for storage.
Example : I checked their recycling bins.
Duties: An act or a course of action that is required of one by position, social custom, law, or religion.
Example: I have learned to do my civic duties.
Dumpsters: A trademark used for containers designed for receiving, transporting, and dumping waste materials.
Example: I went dumpster diving with Bill.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Pages