samedi 2 novembre 2013

Blog #3 :)

Hi everyone,

This week was my third day of internship and it was really fun. I have met a new person, his name is Bill. He was really sympathetic and gentle with me. They have received some vegetables and we had to decide which recipe we will do with those. I had no idea how to say those vegetables in English and Bill learned to me there name and how to spell it. For example I learned that «radis» in English is called radish, but if you have more than one it become radishes. After that, he also taught me some words that you can't say in English, like words that mean insult. Also, I did some painting, I paint some decoration with recycled materials and we talked about my life and my future. It was really comic because I wanted to say an expression that we say in French and I tried just to translate the expression in English, but it doesn't make any sense. I wanted to say «tomber dans les pommes», but in English you can't say fell in the apples. It was a great moment when we laughed and I learned from this.

This week, I did not learned new expressions from English, but I have learned a lot of new words and I am really glad. I have also learned that you can't translate French expressions to English because it doesn't make any sense I have observed that English speakers talked faster and more fluently that French speakers. I have also observed that English speakers give more importance on the verb when they pronounced it than the other words in the sentence. I think that it will help me to improve my English and to pronounce the words correctly, so I could become better English speakers like them.

Like I said in my Blog #2, when I met everyone, they only greet me with their hands like we say "hello" usually, but in the Quebec culture, we usually greet people with the hand shake when we saw them for the first time. In my internship, there is no Mr. or Miss before they're name. Everyone called each other by their first name. To show politeness, people in my internship said always please and thank you. I think it's really important for English speakers to show politeness and it's a good thing. People dress like everyone else, normal clothes. Finally, I don't know if they are punctual, because my internship is always at 2pm, so they are already working when I arrived.

This week, Bill talked to me a lot, so I can practice my English. He also asked me if I knew some hard vocabularies, but I didn't know most of it. Like I said before, he learned to me some vegetables names. Here are some examples:

Wasp: Is typically defined as any insect that is neither a bee nor an ant (guêpe)
Nest: A place used by insects, a refuge, a home.(Nid)
Plank: A long, flat piece of timber, thicker than a board.(planche de bois)
Peas: The round, edible seed of a widely cultivated plant of the legume family. (pois)
Radish/radishes: The crisp, pungent, edible root of the plant of the mustard family, usually eaten raw. (radis)
Nearsighted person: Seeing distinctly at a short distance only; myopic.(myope)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Pages