dimanche 10 novembre 2013

Entry #5 Cultural Encounters

Hello everyone, 

I have been so far to my internship for about 5 times and I really enjoy it because I am working with great people. 

At Eco-Quartier, I am working with different culture because it's a multi-cultural society which is localized in NDG.  I am working with people who came from different part of the world. For example, some of them came from Germany and other from Romania and other from Canada.

Yet, I haven't observed any religious symbols in the place where I am working. For sure, there is poster, but they talked about ecological and environmental stuff. Also, they don't listen to any music during work time, so I don't know if they listen to the same type than us. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to ask them the question, but I have observed on the wall that there are some paintings that represent respect for the environment. There is another painting on the wall, a beautiful painting, but it represents the daughter of an Eco-Quartier's members.

Thus far, I did not see any newspaper, but I have seen some flyers and I have also written some of them. I can tell, they are written in French and in English. We can see with this how the society in NDG is bilingual. The people I am working with have a lot of magazine on their desk and they read the same magazine as me. For example, there was fashion magazine or even cooking magazine.

My host (Nikki) celebrates every holidays as us. She celebrates Halloween because she has disguised herself at work. She also celebrates Christmas and right now at work, we are preparing some ideas for Christmas gifts made by hand.  She also celebrates Thanksgiving who is a holiday to gather family. For the other holidays, they didn't told me about if they celebrates them like us or differently. 

Thus far, I had not heard any slang during my internship. I have also done some writing task; I have translated some text from French to English. I have learned a lot of things that I didn't know before. Also, I have done some reading tasks; I have read some articles to know more about the organism and what they do to helps people. I didn't have the opportunity to use the idioms from our class, but I will try to use them next time.

So far, the most difficult aspect of the internship was to be in a new environment all by myself and in English only, but I had to adjust myself and now I will enjoy this internship. My best part of this was that I learned a lot of new thing on a subject that I didn't really know already. I am really glad that I learned new aspects about the environment and I hope to learn more about it soon.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Pages